Monday, August 18, 2014

My English Language Learning Journey

                                Let me begin by giving a little introduction of myself. I came to Singapore at the age of 2 1/2 years. I remember clearly struggling my way through much of kindergarten and even primary school.  Back then, to me English was just another subject. I didn’t see the importance of English being an important tool of communication especially in a country like Singapore which is multi-racial; English is the only common language. Till about primary 3, I had difficulty forming proper sentences that was coherent. Then soon enough I realised that English was just not another subject but it was beautiful language that I had the opportunity to learn.

                            In secondary school my mediocre performance in English continued but by then I started to appreciate learning English. But I have to mention that the drilling in secondary school for English was pretty mundane with teachers constantly giving us weekly journals, countless grammar and vocabulary exercise. I should say that I didn’t exactly enjoy the way English was taught to me, as much emphasis was given to scoring well in the subject rather than learning and enjoying the subject. Especially in secondary 3 and 4, English periods was something I didn’t look forward to as teachers would come in give us compos, and drill us on countless comprehensions. Somehow I managed to slog my way through secondary school life and passed my O level English with a decent grade,  as by then English was given much importance , as one has to pass his or her O level English to move on to Junior college or local Polytechnic.

                                Finally I reached my A levels where English was called general paper.  I was fortunate to have a non-local English teacher for the first time, who brought life into the very mundane lessons. We used to go to the school library during school time to read newspapers, which was a break during hectic JC life.  He used to teach English in a very different way in the sense that he didn’t emphasis so much on grades, rather on the various ways to learn the language. Sadly though I passed GP, the grade was insufficient to be exempted from writing QET and thus I am here!

                                 But I do look forward to ES1102 lessons as I hope to learn as much as I can from this module! And being in FASS where I have to take some essay based modules I feel that the skills acquired especially the writing skills will be very much applicable.

Pavithra 

6 comments:

Xuan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xuan said...

Hi Pavi,

I enjoyed reading your reflection! I felt the same way in Secondary School too, where my teacher tried to drown us with mountains of essays and comprehensions.

Regarding the style of the reflection, I like how you had sequenced the key events in your learning journey. Thus, making it very easy to understand when I read it. It also reflects on how your mindset had changed throughout your school life.

Let's improve English together in this module! :D

Cheers,
Xuan

*PS: Sorry for the double posting of comments. Need to edit some mistakes. ><

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks, Pavi, for the detailed post. It's highly informative, presenting a clear image of your background, both in terms of accomplishments and struggles. It's especially interesting to me when you state that your non-local teacher didn't ficus on grades as much as on learning strategies. Can you imagine why he did that?

Though your language fluency is good, there are a few areas to take note of:

1) Till about primary 3, I had difficulty forming proper sentences that was coherent. (subject verb agreement)

2) English periods was something … (agreement)

3) to Junior college or local Polytechnic. (capitalization)

4) Somehow I managed to slog my way through secondary school life and passed my O level English with a decent grade, as by then English was given much importance , as one has to pass his or her O level English to move on to Junior college or local Polytechnic. (rambling sentence)

5) Finally I reached ... (punctuation)

6) Sadly though I passed GP, (punctuation)

7) But I do look forward to ES1102 lessons as I hope to learn as much as I can from this module! And being in FASS where I have to take some essay based modules I feel that the skills acquired especially the writing skills will be very much applicable. (a bit rambling)

I look forward to working with you to refine your writing skills.

Unknown said...

Hey Pavi!
I love reading your essay. I was surprised that you only started learning English when you are in Singapore. That's because I felt that your command in English was awesome!
Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading your post as you bring out your points really well!

Love,
Joan

purplecarrot said...

Hi Pavi!

Thanks for sharing your English Language Journey! It was an enjoyable read. In my opinion, your reflection was well planned and well structured.
It was effective in showing readers the ups and downs of your journey.

I agree with you that the skills learnt in ES1102 will make us better writers. Hopefully, we will be able to write beter essays too :)

Diyanah

NING said...

Hey Pavi,

I like the way you write your essay! The nice structure of this essay and simple vocabularies you used made me feel comfortable to read this blog post just in a few minutes!
I also I get to know you better through this blog post! I think your English is really good!
And finally, let's make ES1102 a fun module for this semester!=D

Jianing